Friday, July 29, 2011

The Journey of Learning Korean

Besides being very impressed with Korea's development, the Korean language caught my attention, when many little phrases and words are similar to the teochew language. My learning Korean journey is only the beginning. And hopefully the momentum will keep on going.

The K-pop wave or hallyu swept across Asia and even to Europe for years, since the launch of paradigm-changing movies such as My Sassy Girl (엽기적인 그녀 That Bizarre Girl), Winter Sonata (겨울연가 Gyeoul Yeonga) and Taegukgi Hwinallimyo (Hangul: 태극기 휘날리며) - hit a right chord in people's mind and hearts.

I have to admit I was not fully caught up with this trend. I did managed to watch several powerful Korean movies during my movie going years (2004-2006) averaging one cinema movie per week.
Old Boy (black dark tough)
Taegukgi (my favourite)
3 Iron (strange bizarre artistic)

Only last year I managed to get hold of My Sassy Girl.
Music wise, I had one customer who gave me a compilation CD of popular Korean Original Sound Tracks (OST). Most of the songs were slow. Such as "Perhaps Love", From The Start Till Now, I Believe (this is very popular).

Late last year, I was intrigue by a fast paced korean song playing in my gym. The title was "Go Away" by 2NE1. Took me a while sifting through YouTube to get this song. Firstly, I don't have a clue what the title was. A few lines in the song was in English, and I used that as a search clue. Then going through artiste, and songs - listening and soon found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment